Post wedding wrap up

The wedding of the year was this past weekend and it was amazing. My brother in law and  new sister in law looked stunning and the events went off flawlessly. The decor and venues were amazing. I felt like I was at a Bollywood wedding of 2 celebrities! Needless to say that we are all exhausted now and are trying to return to some semblance of a daily routine.

Cubby made it through a week and a half of events, not being at home, not taking regular naps, eating in front of an audience and being passed around constantly and she did great. She is so easy going, that I couldn’t have asked for more. Thank God that she is such a social baby! Everyone loved her and she was the Belle of the Ball. She looked so darn cute in her indian outfits and was waving to everyone with her royal wave and giving big gummy one toothed smiles. She ate quite well and I started to introduce her to indian foods with a little more spice to them. Her tummy was upset a few times and she was quite gassy, but much better than I had thought. I’m glad that I waited as I don’t think that her stomach could have handled all of the new foods any earlier. There was some method to my systematic madness of introducing foods slowly and one new one every 3 days.

Cubby already had a premature first birthday celebration. We thought that it would be nice if she could celebrate this milestone with all of the family from England so we did a first birthday party last Monday. Cubby loved every minute of it and was smiling and clapping when everyone sang happy birthday to her. She got tons of gifts including a new Elmo that sings (who she loves already!).

Cubby has gotten used to having so many people around to entertain her. I think she is going to be in withdrawal tomorrow morning as my husband’s 3 girl cousins who were staying with us for almost a week are leaving tomorrow. They have been a great help with Cubby including getting her to eat and giving mommy’s arms a break! Cubby and Mommy are going to miss all of the family from England as it is going to be very quiet around the house again.

One thing that I have to work on is getting Cubby back onto a routine. She has been going to bed really late for the past week (between 9:30 anad 10:30 pm), so she thinks that is when she should go to sleep now. I couldn’t get her to sleep until 10 pm today. It is important to re-establish a routine as I will be returning to work in September and it will be beneficial if she sleeps and wakes up at the same time every day.

Cubby started badly teething again 3 days ago. She ran a high fever and her gums were all swollen. She only slept about 3 hours one night and was up all night burning up and crying. The natural drops and teething gel were not working and it seemed like she was really suffering so I started giving her Infant Tylenol around the clock. I’m not usually one for medicine, but this is the worst that I have seen her teething and she looked very uncomfortable. Also, she did not sleep, which in turn led us to have 2-3 hours of sleep that night. Since I began the Tylenol, she has been sleeping for the past 2 nights. I am hoping that her teeth will come in as this has been quite a process and she still only has 1 tooth! Her feeding has gotten worse again as her gums are sensitive and she does not want to open her mouth. Luckily, I had the England cousins to distract her!

To date, Cubby is not yet crawling. She has begun to rock on her hands and knees and can push herself backwards. She usually ends up with her feet under the couch or ottoman. She needs to build up strength in her back, neck, arms and legs. And she needs to gain weight! She is still tiny and this teething affecting her eating is not helping. But, all in all, she is still smiling, laughing and waving in between her teething pain and runny nose. I am not very worried about her weight as I was before. I know that she will catch up and she seems very active. My only challenge right now is getting her to drink milk from a sippy cup or glass. I am going to start weaning her off of breastfeeding after her first birthday. It has been a challenge so far as she won’t take a bottle. Wish me luck! Any tips would be helpful. Luckily, I extended my maternity leave until September so I have a few months to work on it.

About newmom78

I am a mother to 2 beautiful girls with a degree in Occupational Therapy. This blog is about the chronicles of my daily life with my daughters as well as the laughter and frustration that goes along with trying to be "super mom" and play numerous roles; wife, mother, daughter, employee, friend, and student.
This entry was posted in Teething, The Cubby Chronicles and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s