Are you pregnant or near the end of your pregnancy? Do you have a newborn baby at home? Do you feel overwhelmed by the amount of baby items out there? Why is it that a baby who weighs less than 10 lbs needs a house full of expensive items?
It definitely has something to do with the effective marketing making you feel like you are a horrible parent if you don’t have gadgets, toys, cribs, swings, strollers, monitors, diaper bags, and playpens with all of the bells and whistles. I always say that if you put the word “baby” or “wedding” in front of any item, you can charge 500% more for it! I know that our parents’ generation raised us fine with minimal items and laugh at all of the things that we buy. So, with that being said, I was recently wandering through IKEA and perusing the kids section and found some great items that are cheap and effective for babies and kids.
Here are some of my top picks from IKEA for babies and children:(http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/)
- Antilop Highchair with tray $24.99 CAD: How great is this highchair? It’s simple, lightweight, portable, easy to clean and just plain awesome. I bought this for my parents’ house when Cubby was born and cannot say enough good things about it. It also comes without a tray for $19.99.
- Borja Training Cup $1.69 CAD: Ok, I cannot say enough about this training cup. I have been using it with Squeakers as she will not take a bottle and is still exclusively breastfeeding (*Side note: the longest I have been away from Squeakers in the past 9 months is 3 hours.. get your baby on a bottle if you plan to be away for longer periods of time. It will save your sanity!). This training cup is the best for the price. It is BPA free, lightweight, easy for baby to hold and easy to clean. You can even see the liquid and how much baby is drinking. It’s a great transition from bottle to sippy cup.
- Kladding Bib $5.99 CAD: Squeakers absolutely refuses purees from a spoon and wants to hold food herself and eat independently. I have had to follow a baby led weaning process, which is MESSY. For a control freak like me, this has been difficult. She has stained all of her clothes and by the end of a meal it looks like her clothes ate more than she did. These bibs have been a lifesaver and are adjustable so they will grow with her. They are easy to wash under running water and hang dry quickly. The only thing I noticed is that the sleeves are a little tight at the wrist so it could be a little uncomfortable depending on how big your child is.
- Krama Washcloths $5.99 CAD for a 10 pack: Great washcloths for feeding or bathing and they have a little colour coded loop that can hang on a hook or handle. You can colour code and know which ones are for feeding and which ones are for bathing.
4. Tossig Toilet Seat $7.99 CAD: Lightweight and super easy to take on and off the toilet for potty training.
5. Lockig Children’s Potty $7.99 CAD: Comfortable and easy to clean and empty.
6. Forsiktig Children’s Stool $4.99 CAD: Good height and grip. Great for putting at the bathroom sink or in their room to reach books on the bookshelf.
7. Tutig Babycare Mat $6.99 CAD: A huge changing mat that is easy to fold up and take with you. You can use it to put on top of a nice changing pad that came with your diaper bag or put in under your nice changing pad when changing your baby’s diaper in a public place.
8. Kalas 18-Piece Flatware Set $1.79 CAD: This set is great for kids learning to eat independently or for birthday parties. The knife actually cuts well and the set is BPA free and easy to hold and manipulate.
9. Kalas Tumbler $1.79 CAD for a 6 pack: These little cups are perfect size and weight for little hands learning to drink. Cubby still uses these cups. Also great for kids birthday parties or picnics.
10. Kalas Plates and Bowls $1.79 CAD for a 6 pack: Again great value and sizes for kids to use at home, birthday parties or picnics.
11. Antonius Basket Insert $2.99 CAD: I use these inserts in my cupboards to store all of the above feeding supplies such as cutlery, cups, sippy cups, etc. You can also use it in drawers in the nursery to store baby socks, washcloths, bibs, etc.
12. Samla Boxes $1.49 – $9.99 CAD: These boxes are amazing for toy storage, lego storage or storage of feeding supplies. Various sizes depending on what you need them for.
13. Samla Insert $4.99 CAD: Although this is an insert for the boxes, I used it on its own for a diaper and wipes caddy in Squeaker’s nursery. I filled it with diapers, wipes, diaper cream, etc.
14. Fyllen Laundry Basket $8.99 CAD: I used this basket for storage of Cubby’s stuffed animals and toys.
Cheap and Effective Baby Toys:
Mula Stacking Rings $7.99 CAD
Mula Stack and Nest Cups $2.99 CAD
Mula Toy Hammering Block $7.99 CAD
Mula Bead Roller Coaster $14.99 CAD
As you can see, you don’t always have to spend a lot of money on baby items. These IKEA hacks are useful and can help you to be organized as a new mom.
If you have some spare time, check out the children’s section at IKEA. Stay for a meal. They have delicious food too!