Baby + dog = Chaos!

What a day!! I am thoroughly exhausted! I am dog sitting right now for my parents so I have our little maltese, Caesar staying with us for about a month. Caesar is pretty low maintenance and a sweet docile dog, but he is like an old man trapped in an 8 year old dog’s body. We call him the bionic dog. To start off with, he was diagnosed with Cushing’s disease about a year ago, which was really sad. We noticed that he had a protruding stomach, he was lethargic, hot all of the time and peeing a lot. He didn’t want to interact with anyone and used to hide under tables or in closets. He was nothing like the Caesy boy that he previously had been. We took him to the vet for a series of tests and after about a month, they determined that he had Cushing’s disease. It was really sad and he has to take medication every day (costing $100 a month).

If that wasn’t enough, we also noticed last year that his eyes were becoming cloudy and he was having difficulty seeing. Again, we took him to the vet and they determined that he had cataracts in both eyes. After a few months, we noticed that he completely lost his vision and would sit all day and sleep. He had a hard time navigating in the house and kept bumping into things. After much debate, my dad got his bilateral cataracts removed (to a sum of around $8000) only for him to endure complications including an infected eye and poor healing. He lost the vision in the one eye that was infected as he was allergic to the stitches. He had a long healing period and has some vision now in the other eye.

That’s a bit of Caesar’s back story. He’s a great little dog; gentle and sweet and if you yell at him, he actually cries (his little eyes well up with tears). He’s very sensitive, that Caesy boy! So anyway, today started off a bit hectic. My husband had to leave early to go to an open house (he’s a real estate agent). First item on the agenda for the day, Cubby took a huge poop in the morning. We cleaned her up as well as we could and got her in the shower with daddy to be bathed.

While that was happening, Caesar had to go outside for a potty. I carried him down all of the flights of stairs in our house to the lawn (oh the joys of living in a 4 storey townhouse and having a dog with back problems who is not supposed to climb the stairs). I walked him around and nothing. I was heading back home and ran into a neighbour who also has 2 dogs. While I was talking to him, I looked over and notice Caesar squatting and pooping on his doorstep. Just Greaaattt! (obvious sarcasm!). I quickly apologized and scooped the poop (thanking God that he is also a dog owner) and got Caesar inside the house. As he stepped inside I noticed that he had muddy paws as outside had been foggy and damp. I quickly carried him upstairs and heard my husband calling for me to get Cubby from the shower. I brought Caesar up the 4 flights of stairs to our room and got a towel ready to get Cubby. Caesar tracked his dirty paws all over our carpet. GREAATT! I dried off Cubby and got her ready in her clothes. My husband took her and I put Caesar in the shower and gave him a quick bath.

Once he was clean, I let him run around our room all damp and I quickly jumped in the shower. I had about 8 minutes as my husband was yelling that he had to leave. I put on the same clothes from yesterday (typical mom maneuver) and ran downstairs. My husband had time for a quick breakfast so he ate and watched Cubby while I made her breakfast and fed Caesar. I tried to feed Cubby, but she was wailing and pushing it away. Also, her nose was running all over the place, so I ran to get Kleenex (of course, sending her into a downward spiral of crying due to separation anxiety!). I could have said that that was the worst part of my day, but that would be an understatement!

My husband left for work and I assumed responsibility for Cubby and Caesar. I set up Cubby with her toys in the living room and tried to give Caesar some attention as he is used to my parents being home with him. I gave Cubby her Baby Mum Mums rice crackers and turned for a second to drink some water only to hear a squeal and see Caesar take the cracker out of Cubby’s hand and gobble it up. I scolded him and told him “NO!” and made him sit down. I gave her another one and just as she started eating it, the same thing happened again. She started crying hysterically as Caesar had startled her. I scolded him again and gated him in the kitchen. I went back to the living room to deal with Cubby. I decided that it was time for a nap as she was screaming and rubbing her eyes. I let Caesar out of the kitchen and headed upstairs.

I was in Cubby’s room nursing her and getting her ready for her nap and look down to see Caesar at my feet. How did he climb all of our steep stairs? GREAAATT! (He will probably aggravate his back again and I will be blamed!). Just as she was falling asleep in my lap and closing her eyes, he started whimpering and got onto his hind legs to try to jump up onto my lap. Of course, Cubby woke up and started batting at Caesar. AAARRRGGHH! I was ready to lose it. I put Cubby on the floor for a second and took Caesar into the hallway and closed the door. We could still hear his whimpering, but I managed to get Cubby to sleep.

I took Caesar downstairs to the living room and he was jumping on me and whining. I asked him if he had to go potty and he wagged his tail. “Oh gosh” I thought, how would I manage this one? Luckily, we have a video monitor so I carried him down the stairs and put him on the grass outside. I carefully watched the monitor and got him back inside and cleaned up. I noticed that Cubby was still sleeping so I thought it would be a great time to take a nap as I was wiped out. I got onto the couch and laid down with Caesar at my feet. I had just fallen asleep for 10 minutes and he leaped off of the couch and began barking. I was startled awake and ran to grab him and shut him up. I checked the monitor and luckily, Cubby was still sleeping! I yelled at Caesar, but he didn’t understand why I was yelling. It was too late to take a nap.. I was wide awake now. I went downstairs to check my emails on the computer.

The rest of the day was pretty much the same. I was trying to get Cubby to eat her food, Caesar was trying to take her food or eat the scraps that fell from the highchair, I was carrying him up and downstairs to take him to potty, Cubby was crying every time I walked away from her, .. it was pure CHAOS!! I called my husband around 4 pm and told him that I had had it with the day. I took Cubby out for a quick walk to get some sun as the weather was beautiful and returned home.

My husband showed up an hour later and I handed everyone to him; both Cubby and Caesar. He said that I looked exhausted and I said that was exactly how I felt. What a day I had. And to think, I still have Caesar for 3 more weeks. If this is what it is like having 2 children, I don’t think that I’m ready for another one any time soon!

About newmom78

I am a mother to 2 beautiful girls with a degree in Occupational Therapy. This blog is about the chronicles of my daily life with my daughters as well as the laughter and frustration that goes along with trying to be "super mom" and play numerous roles; wife, mother, daughter, employee, friend, and student.
This entry was posted in The Cubby Chronicles and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s