Cubby’s first fever :(

I had an amazing night last night, for the first time in over a year, I got 8 hours of sleep!!!! I woke up refreshed and well rested, about to do Balki’s “dance of Joy”, when I heard cubby crying and moaning through the monitor. This is not like her, I thought to myself. I am usually awoken by the sounds of playful screams and cooing noises. I went to her nursery only to find her cheeks bright red and her eyes all watery and teary… she looked absolutely miserable. I picked her up out of her crib and she was like a hot oven. Instantly, I felt horrible for wanting to do the dance of Joy 5 minutes earlier. She had slept 8 hours because she was sick and exhausted, not because she was finally sleeping through the night!

I took her upstairs in a panic and woke up my husband explaining to him that cubby has a fever and is sick. We both coddled her as she made whining noises and cries similar to a wounded animal. I took her temperature under her arm and it was confirmed; she had a fever of almost 100 degrees. I was trying to do some quick thinking, what had my naturopath told me to do in case of a fever? I tried to call my family doctor as well, but his office didn’t open until 9 am.

I got in touch with my sister in law, who recommended getting a homeopathic called Viburcol, which is for pain and fever and giving her lukewarm baths. I undressed her and gave her a lukewarm bath; she was howling by the end of it. I changed her into a new onesie and put a cool damp washcloth on her forehead and back of her neck. She didn’t like that either. Cubby wanted to be cuddled and held so we did. We both took turns holding her on our shoulders and trying to comfort her. I have never seen her look so sad. We tried our best and we couldn’t even get her to crack the slightest smile.

I kept trying to breastfeed her as I know when we are sick, doctors always tell us to drink lots of fluids. Cubby did not even want to breastfeed, she was tired and lethargic and just kept moaning and crying. She had a cough and her nose was running. She normally hates when we try to clean her nose. She screamed at the top of her lungs when I brought the tissue to her nose. I felt so bad watching my little peanut be sick. I felt so helpless.

I did have Baby Tylenol on hand, but me being skeptical about medications (especially for babies) and knowing that fevers are actually the body’s way of fighting infections and illness, I headed to Nature’s Source. I ended up talking to the staff there and found the Viburcol drops by Heel that my sister in law had mentioned. She also told me to increase her probiotics and keep her hydrated. I called my doctor on the way home and made an appointment to see him, just to ensure that cubby didn’t have an ear infection or throat infection.

I got home and gave her a dose of the Viburcol drops. I also tried to breastfeed her; which she did do. My husband and I alternated putting her on our shoulders and patting her back. She wouldn’t let us put her down all day. She was like a little monkey clinging to us. I know it’s sadistic, but I felt so loved and needed. This tiny person only wanted me to take care of her. She was hysterical when I tried to put her down or when I took bathroom breaks.

Of course, I monitored her temperature all day and the fever had gone down a little. The doctor’s check up went alright and he confirmed that there was no ear or throat infection. He stated that it was probably a virus and that it was actually good for her as she was building up her immunity. I was impressed that he didn’t push medications or antibiotics for no reason. He told us to monitor her symptoms and temperature and to take her to the after hours clinic if she worsened.

Cubby slept for most of the day (on my shoulders). I did manage to breastfeed her numerous times. She had one bout of green watery diarrhea, which worried me a bit; I gave her more probiotics. Her fever stayed steady and reduced a little bit. I have been monitoring her all day and will monitor her all night.

I made it through the first day of her first fever and I am intact (a little sore and my neck/back and shoulders are killing from her sleeping on me all day). I hope tonight goes ok. I have been rubbing castor oil on her chest and upper back to hopefully loosen up some of the secretions (although the doctor said that her chest was clear). I held it together, I’m proud of myself. Let’s pray that she gets better in the next few days and that this fever goes down.

Cross your fingers!

About newmom78

I am a mother to 2 beautiful girls with a degree in Occupational Therapy. This blog is about the chronicles of my daily life with my daughters as well as the laughter and frustration that goes along with trying to be "super mom" and play numerous roles; wife, mother, daughter, employee, friend, and student.
This entry was posted in Breastfeeding, Health and Your Baby, Natural Remedies for Baby and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s